La Costa Smeralda (The Emerald Coast)

The Emerald Coast covers about twenty kilometers of coastline and it’s characterized by numerous bays, beaches and numerous small islands, including the archipelago of La Maddalena. The area was mostly uninhabited until the first half of the 20th century. In 1962 the Consorzio Costa Smeralda was born by Prince Karim Aga Khan. Soon the area became a place of choice for international celebrities, with famous clubs.

The heart of the Costa Smeralda is Porto Cervo and the areas of Ramazzino, Capriccioli, Cala di Volpe, Golfo Pevero, Pantogia and Liscia di Vacca. Near Porto Cervo and Cala di Volpe, although not formally on the Costa Smeralda, Poltu Quatu, Baja Sardinia, Cannigione and Porto Rotondo are now included, both for proximity and for a similar tourist offer.

Historic landmark is the Stella Maris church in Porto Cervo, built in the sixties by the architect Michele Busiri Vici with a style that perfectly adapts to the surrounding architecture. The Stella Maris church has a panoramic view that stretches across the harbor bay on one side and Mount Moro on the other.

In the waters of the Costa Smeralda there is the international research center Dolphin Research Institute (BDRI) based in Golfo Aranci that carries out its research, conservation and environmental education of dolphins.

The area is served, taking into account the considerable tourist traffic, from the nearby Olbia-Costa Smeralda airport, to which it gives its name.

In 2012 the Consorzio Costa Smeralda controlled by Tom Barrack goes to Qatar’s emir Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, who manages Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund for a total of 750 million euros.

The Colosseum

The Colosseum is the largest amphitheater in the ancient world and is located in the city center of Rome. In imperial times its capacity was 75,000 spectators. Since 1980 it was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and in 2007 the complex was also included among the New Seven Wonders of the World.

Construction began in 72 A.D. and it was inaugurated by the Emperor Titus in 80 A.D.
The name “Colosseo” is widespread in the Middle Ages and is derived from the Latin adjective “Colosseum”.
In ancient times the Colosseum was used for gladiator shows and other public events (hunting shows, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on classical mythology). By the sixth century the huge structure was reused over the centuries as a fortress and also like material quarry.

Today it is a symbol of the city of Rome and one of its major tourist attractions.

Park of the monsters of Bomarzo

History: Bomarzo’s Monsters Park was built for Prince Pier Francesco Orsini, called Vicino Orsini, in 1547 with mythological figures in grotesque style. There are impossible architectures, such as “The Tilted House”  and enigmatic statues. Even Salvador Dalì, the great Spanish painter, spoke of the Monster Park as a unique historical invention. In 1585, after the death of the last Prince Orsini, the park was abandoned and only in the second half of the twentieth century it was restored by the couple Tina Severi and Giancarlo Bettini.

Description of the Park: The park covers an area of about 3 hectares. Inside there are placed a large number of various sizes depicting mythological animal sculptures, but also buildings that reflect the classical world and cancel the perspective and aesthetic rules, in order to confuse the visitor.

The Ogre: It is certainly the most famous figure of the Park and its symbol. The work represents a great big face of stone with his mouth wide open; in reality it is a room carved into the tuff. For the particular environment, the voices of those who enter it are amplified and distorted, creating a frightening effect.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa

The Leaning Tower is the bell tower of the cathedral and is located in the Miracle Square of Pisa. The monument is the symbol of the city and one of the symbols of Italy.

It is a tall bell tower about 56 meters above ground and it was built between the twelfth and fourteenth century. Its slope is due to subsidence of the underlying soil has already occurred in the early stages of construction.

The construction: The first phase of the work was interrupted in the middle of the third floor. In an attempt to straighten the tower, the three planes added tend to sag in the opposite direction to the slope. The bell tower was completed in the mid of the next century, adding the belfry.

Restorations: Since its construction the inclination is increased. In the last decades of the twentieth century, the tilt had undergone a marked increase, so that the danger of the collapse had made concrete. Twenty years later, April 22, 2011 were completed the restoration work both inside and outside.

The Milan Cathedral

The Milan Cathedral is 108 meters and a half high, along 158 and wide 96 and is by far the third cathedral in the world, after Saint Peter and Seville. The cathedral was consecrated by Archbishop Carlo Borromeo in 1572, although it was not completed. The last spikes were placed only after the middle of the eighteenth century and in 1813 the completion was complete (but the last door was only positioned in 1965).

Among the most strange statues of the Duomo of Milan is that depicting St. Bartholomew (without skin), with his own skin thrown over his shoulders as a mantle. The statue was outside, but was placed inside the church because it scared the children.

Among the external decorations there are heads of monstrous beings, sometimes demons, very common in the medieval tradition; They depicted monsters to frighten the forces of evil.

Portofino

This beautiful Ligurian village has unique and characteristic views. The Park of Portofino is a journey of 60 km of landscapes and natural environments inimitable, all properly reported.

History: According to Plinius the Elder, the village of Portofino was founded during the Roman Empire with the name of Portus Delphini due, perhaps, to the large population of these animals (dolphins) in the Gulf of Tigullio.

Currently Portofino is an international tourist destination and meeting place particularly fashionable.